"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Please Hubby Please!!!!

I am trying to talk my hubby into letting me faux paint our formica counter tops to look like granite. We have been wanting to replace our counter tops since we moved in 6 years ago but the cost exceeds the need for them. I first saw the idea on Martha's blog So Lovely Creations, she is so talented but has been MIA for a couple months "Come back Martha PLEASE!".

I have since watched many videos, done my research and decided I would use a product by Giani. For $50 you can get a kit that includes all the paint you need to achieve that granite look!Now I know there are probably tons of methods out there and that I could probably use simple Latex paint but I prefer to go with a product made specifically for painting counter tops. Here are some videos....









these are my counter tops now....

And here are the 2 colors that I like ( I am positive my husband would choose the first one)....

Now doesn't everyone agree that would look fantastic with my newly refinished cabinets! Hey whats the worst that could happen they end up looking terrible and force us to buy are much desired granite ;-)

6 comments:

Laura@SouthernPirates said...

yes....i like the draker one!

Anonymous said...

i love the first color!!! lets us know how it goes seems like a good idea :D

Annie said...

I happen to like the first one :)
My husband is a cabinet builder so I get really excited with new cabinets! Looks like a blast, painting it yourself. DH and I both agree that formica is not the best stuff out there - but it is so inexpensive that we have it in our house. I would love to get some solid surface countertops some day. They make faux granite solid surface and that is my dream!

Kati said...

That is neat!! Great job! Did you take a before photo?

amberdawn said...

OMGsh!!!! I am so going to do this!!!!

morgan823 said...

I don't know if I've commented before but I read all the time. I friend showed me your blog. Anyway, if you do this I want to hear all about it. My husband is trying to convince me to do it. Our countertops aren't bad but if I knew for sure this would work I'd do it in a heartbeat. I like both colors you've chosen.